Monday, August 22, 2011

Coco the dog saves seven

By TAN SIN CHOW
sctan@thestar.com.my

GEORGE TOWN: A family of seven have their pet dog to thank for saving their lives when its barking alerted them to a fire which razed two shophouses in Jalan Jelutong here.

Car dealer Ng Fook Min said he woke up to check on his pet Mini Pinscher, Coco, when it started barking constantly at about 2am yesterday.

“I suspected something was wrong as Coco is usually a quiet dog and does not bark at night. I looked out of my bedroom window and saw smoke billowing from my neighbour's furniture shop.

“I quickly alerted my family members and got them out of the house. My nephew and I then tried to put out the blaze with fire extinguishers to no avail. The blaze quickly spread to my house within minutes,” he said at the scene.


Hero: Ng’s daughter looking after Coco after it was brought to safety in George Town yesterday.

“Fortunately, a few passers-by together with members of the voluntary patrol unit and voluntary fire fighting squad helped him to move some vans and lorries to safety.

“I dread to think what would have happened if the vehicles had not been moved.

“Losses could have run into millions. We have Coco to thank for waking us up.”

JSF Furniture Shop owner Teoh Chee, 56, said 90 mattresses stored in two containers and about 50 sofa sets and bed frames were destroyed in the fire.

p/s : seems that a dog is really a man's best friends...

No comments: